September isn’t over yet!
Please take a moment to share your awareness of childhood cancer in some small way. One way would be by sharing this post on your social media!
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month!
Why is Awareness SO IMPORTANT?
Because KIDS GET CANCER AND WE STILL DON’T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY. Because childhood cancers are desperately underfunded. Because kids are suffering and dying and RESEARCH COULD CHANGE THAT. Because the advances made in treating childhood cancer will be applicable to other cancers and diseases. Because our CHILDREN DESERVE BETTER than 4% of cancer research funding and 25 year old poisons when we ask them to fight for their lives!!!
Here’s some FACTS on Childhood Cancers:
- Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease for children under 15
- Cancer kills more children than AIDs, asthma, diabetes, cystic fibrosis and congenital anomalies combined.
- 1 in 330 children will be diagnosed with cancer before age 20
- 1 in 5 children diagnosed will die from their disease
- In the last 20 years the FDA has initially approved only one new drug for use in pediatric cancer. Half of all chemotherapies used for children’s cancers are 25 years old.
- The incidence of invasive pediatric cancers is up 29% in the past 20 years and there is still no understanding of what causes it.
- Childhood cancers are not strongly linked to environmental or lifestyle risk factors like many adult cancers. Most childhood cancers result from genetic changes that we still don’t understand and may even be present before a child is born in some cases.
- Childhood cancers receive less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s annual budget.
- 80% of children have metastasis disease at the time of diagnosis as compared to only 20% of adults
- 3 of 5 children diagnosed with cancer suffer from long-term or late onset side effects from their disease or treatment.
- Most childhood cancer survivors can expect to have life-threatening or a serious chronic disease by the age of 45.
- Cancer is 20 times more prevalent than pediatric AIDS, yet pediatric AIDS receives four times the funding that childhood cancer receives.
- Because childhood cancers are not profitable, pharmacuetical companies contribute little or no funding to researching pediatric treatments.
Will you HELP us fight for our kids? Will you spread awareness of this horrible reality and help us change it? Will you go from Awareness in September to ACTION the rest of the year?
Please DON’T WAIT UNTIL it’s your child. Take action now.